Bike & Roll to School Day (BR2SD) is less than a month away on Wednesday, May 3! There’s still time to register and celebrate the joy of bicycling with communities around the world. Register by April 17 to receive a Bike & Roll to School Day packet of fun materials for your school.
MDOT offers the following pedestrian/bicyclist safety tips to make your walk/bike activities safe and enjoyable:
- Plan your routes.
- Always wear a properly fitted helmet when riding a bike.
- Stay visible. Wear light and bright-colored clothing.
- Stay alert. Enjoy time away from the phone.
- Children can ride their bicycles on the sidewalk. If riding in the street, ride with traffic, obey all traffic laws, and use proper hand signals.
- When possible, cross the street at a crosswalk. Only cross when safe to do so. Make eye contact with drivers and make sure all cars have stopped before crossing.
- Celebrate your event and share the joy it brings to students, neighborhoods, and schools.
- Share your BR2SD celebrations via school communication channels and on social media. Make sure to tag @SafeRoutesMichigan in your #BR2SD posts.
The SRTS team wants to join you for your local event! If you would like one of our coordinators to attend your event, please contact SRTS Program Coordinator Adam Jenks by email or call 517-908-3816.
Other Bike Month Activities
For those unable to participate in or organize a BR2SD event, there are other ways to support and celebrate biking and active transportation in your community this month.
- Participate in National Ride a Bike Day on May 7.
- Commute to work. Bike to Work Week is May 15-18 and Bike to Work Day is Friday, May 19.
- Just go for a ride – short or long distances, solo or with a friend.
- Participate in a bike month challenge. There are challenges to join on many ride-tracking platforms.
- Share and talk about your active transportation experiences with others, including knowledge and pointers to help them be comfortable and build confidence.