Countdown to Bike & Roll to School Day 2024!
Join children and adults around the nation to celebrate the joy of bicycling on Michigan’s Bike and Roll to School Day (BR2SD). Bike and Roll to School Day is built on the success of International Walk to School Day, an event celebrated around the world since 1997. The goal of BR2SD is to encourage children and teens to be more active on their commute to and from school.
The event is also a great way to bring community leaders, parents, students, and other stakeholders together. Whether building awareness for a Safe Routes to School program, highlighting active community initiatives or to recognize local champions or groups, every participating organization can use BR2SD as a fun way to build community.
Last year, Michiganders showed their school spirit with over 115 BR2SD registered events across the state. Michigan also ranked fourth in the country for event participation.
The event takes place on Wednesday, May 8 and registration is now open.
For tips to make your walk/bike activities are safe and enjoyable, MDOT offers the following pedestrian/bicyclist safety tips:
- Plan your route.
- Always wear a helmet when riding a bike.
- Stay visible. Wear light and bright-colored clothing.
- Stay alert. Enjoy time away from the phone.
- Children can ride their bicycles on the sidewalk. If riding in the street; please ride with traffic, obey all traffic laws, and use proper hand signals.
- When possible, cross at a crosswalk. Only cross when safe to do so. Make eye contact with the drivers and make sure all cars have stopped before crossing.
It’s never too early to plan your next BR2SD. Please take a look at the “How to Plan a BR2SD Event” to learn how to engage your community in a safe celebration of biking!